Economy Minister calls on UK Government to hold UK steel meeting
Tata Steel has confirmed it's cutting up to one thousand jobs in the UK as part of a business "transformation".
The firm, which has a plant in Port Talbot, employs around 8 thousand 500 people across the country.
The company says the losses are "designed to safeguard its long term future".
Welsh Government Minister for Economy and Transport, Ken Skates said he's calling for an urgent recall of a cancelled steel roundtable:
“Following Tata Steel’s announcement earlier this month of up to 3000 job losses across Europe, the company has now confirmed up to 1000 would fall in the UK. There are no details on where the job losses will fall and today marks the official start of the Tata’s employee consultation process.
“This will understandably be a worrying time for Tata Steel employees and their families in Wales. Tata Steel has previously confirmed that they intend to seek to avoid compulsory redundancies and I will be impressing on the company the importance of standing by this commitment.
“The Welsh Government has been a firm supporter of the steel industry. Today’s announcement is further proof the UK Government must take responsibility and treat the issues facing the industry with the importance and urgency they deserve. I will continue to raise with the UK Government the need to work together to safeguard the future of our steel industry and I wrote again to the Secretary of State for BEIS, Andrea Leadsom, on Monday, asking her to urgently reconvene the cancelled UK steel roundtable meeting.
Roy Rickhuss, General Secretary of the Community trade union, said:
“We are seriously concerned about the direction that Tata Steel Europe is taking. We have consistently called for a vision for the future, which includes plans for investment. Yet again that is lacking. We have been presented with short-term plans, which only create worry and uncertainty and do little to inspire confidence. It feels like the company is just managing decline and we need a significant change of direction that can inspire the workforce that they have a future.
“This is a consequence of management failure to have a Plan B following the collapse of the joint venture with Thyssenkrupp. Our members should not pay the price for those mistakes. The European Works Council met today and we have made it very clear to Tata that their plans are unacceptable and they need to rethink their strategy and management have agreed to do this. We are surprised that Tata have released this statement, which is against the spirit of what Tata have agreed to do today. It shows a complete and utter contempt for the workforce as we told them that their plans are ill-thought out, badly conceived and need to be revisited.”