Dad Died in Blaze After Stag Night Out

Man took refuge in garage after getting lost on way home

A dad on a stag-do died in a freak accident after getting lost on his way home, an inquest in Swansea heard today.

Father-of-two Mark Logan, 31, fell asleep in a taxi after his night out and jumped out five miles away from his house.

Mark stumbled into a nearby garage for shelter - and accidentally started a blaze when he lit a cigarette in the dark.

The inquest heard oil rig worker Mark became trapped inside and was found dead the next day.

Andrew Pughsley, of Mid and West Wales Fire Service, said: “There would have been very little oxygen getting into the garage.

"It was full of smoke and with the door closed there would have been very little area for smoke to get out.

“Mark had 20 cigarettes with two missing. His lighter and telephone were at the opposite side of the garage."

The inquest heard oil rig worker Mark had been on a stag do watching a Wales v Scotland Six Nations match in Cardiff.

Mark jumped into the cab with two friends when they got out in Rhos, near Pontardawe, South Wales. But Mark woke up disorientated and got out - despite being around five miles from home.

No-one saw him go into the garage but his body was found after the fire the next day in March.

Wife Kirsty, of Godregraig, near Swansea, said she tried to call her husband but he did not answer. She was later told the devastating news by officers.

The inquest in Swansea heard Mark worked on the oil rigs but planned to start up his own business in paintballing or gardening - to have more time with his family.

Coroner Colin Phillips recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

He said: “He was a family man, he lived for his family, and they were the perfect family and this has been a tragic set of circumstances which has torn him away from you.

“He was a hard-working guy who went to the rugby.

“He had a considerable amount to drink and decided to return to Swansea. He has been dropped off in a place he is not familiar with some distance away from his home.

“He had gained entry into a garage, not with any criminal intent but to seek shelter, but sadly it would appear started a fire through smoking and became trapped in the garage and been overcome.

“The cause of death is smoke inhalation with the resulting fire causing his death.”

Speaking after the tragic fire, Kirsty said: "He was an amazing husband and my best friend and I loved him more than words can say.

“He was a devoted and adored father to our two sons, who idolised him.

“We will cherish our memories of him and he will be in our hearts forever.”


More from Local

Cover art for It Feels So Good

On Air

Mylo's Saturday Night House Party playing Sonique - It Feels So Good