£25,000 fine over lack of hygiene
A restaurant owner in Swansea has been fined £25,000 and ordered to pay £2,022 in costs after environmental health inspectors found a decomposing dead pigeon in a kitchen and an infestation of cockroaches at the premises.
The officers from Swansea Council visited the premises on Castle Street, which at the time was called Cosmo, on September 5 last year after a member of the public called to say they had seen a cockroach on the dessert display counter the day before.
The officers asked to be shown the building and found the bird on the kitchen floor at the restaurant, which had just completed lunchtime service.
Cockroaches were then found in the ice-cream storage area, as well as throughout the premises.
Environmental health inspectors also found the kitchen was very dirty with a build-up of dirt and grease and a large quantity of cooked food that was being stored at room temperature.
The owner, Yanrui Yi, director of Fea Moss Limited, agreed to close the premises immediately.
Following a refurbishment the restaurant re-opened as Nines Global Buffet.
On November 18 last year environmental health inspectors returned and a routine food hygiene inspection was undertaken. As a result of this inspection the business scored '0' under the National Food Hygiene rating scheme, a rating which they still currently have.
Two hygiene improvement notices were served on the business in relation to the lack of food hygiene training and the lack of a food safety management system following a re-visit on December 14.
This week Fea Moss Limited pleaded guilty to six food hygiene offences in a prosecution brought by Swansea Council.
Magistrates in Swansea fined the company £10,500 for an offence relating to the pigeon and £10,500 for an offence relating to the cockroaches.
Fines of £1,000 were issued for four other offences and the company was also ordered to pay £2,022 in costs and surcharges.
Ann Rodway, of Swansea Council's Food & Safety Division, said: "The vast majority of food businesses we visit are well-run, and we are happy to work with them to help them achieve the high standards that should be upheld.
"But as this case illustrates, where they do not maintain good standards of hygiene then we will use our powers to prosecute them.
"We are pleased with the outcome of this latest case and I'm certain consumers will be reassured by the work we are doing to safeguard their health and wellbeing when choosing to eat out."