Police Release Video Explaining How They Solved Pendine Murder

Victim Simon Clark was found dead at his home at Grove Caravan Park last September

Simon Clark was stabbed through the heart by Steven Baxter in a row last September. Baxter was today jailed for life with a minimum of 24 years

The 52 year old tried to escape justice by fleeing after killing the Pendine grandfather.

 Fugitive Baxter vanished for four weeks after killing Simon Clark, 54, as police launched a nationwide manhunt.

 But Baxter was hiding three miles away in a cave on Marros Beach, Carmarthenshire, where he was found 30 days after the murder.

 He was caught when a walker passed his secluded cave - and raised the alarm with police.

Dyfed Powys Police have released a video this afternoon with DCI Paul Jones explaining how they solved the murder.

 Baxter later told how he ate seaweed, mussels and fish to survive as he hid out in the cave.

 Father-of-three Mr Clark was murdered by Baxter after a row with him and fellow neighbour Jeffrey Ward, 40.

 The pair denied killing Mr Clark who was found dead at Grove Caravan Park in Pendine in September last year. Ward was cleared after a trial.

 Swansea Crown Court heard Mr Clark caught Ward glaring at his girlfriend Sarah Stockwell - and the pair had a row.

 Paul Lewis, prosecuting, said Mr Clark was later involved "in an altercation" with Baxter and Ward.

 Baxter stabbed Mr Clark through the heart - leaving him with a 19cm stab wound.

 Mr Lewis said: “The two men left Mr Clark to die where he fell and did not tell anyone what happened.

 "They immediately fled the scene together and went into hiding, determined to avoid arrest.”

Baxter remained at large for the best part of a month before being arrested on Marros beach in Carmarthenshire on October 27.

 Baxter said he lived in a cave and surviving on foraged seaweed and mussels along with two fish he managed to catch.

 The court heard Baxter has previous convictions as a teenager in Yorkshire for assault occasioning actual bodily harm, inflicting grievous bodily, possession of a knife, false imprisonment, and attempted murder.

 Mr Justice Picken sentenced him to life in prison - with a minimum term of 24 years before he can be considered for release.

 Baxter refused to be in court for his sentence but the judge told him “you and you alone are to be blame” for the “wholly unnecessary” killing.

 * Ward's girlfriend Julie Harris, 46, pleaded guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice for helping Baxter and Ward to flee the scene.

She was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for two years.

More from Local