Kitchen of Taj Mahal Spice on Windsor Road found to be in 'filthy' condition by Council inspectors
The proprietor of a Neath Port Talbot based takeaway has been convicted of serious breaches of food safety legislation, including failure to properly register as a food business.
Mr Mohammed Motiur Rahman, 45, of Taj Mahal Spice, Windsor Road, Neath pleaded guilty to failing to properly register the food business and a further eight food hygiene offences at Swansea Magistrates Court, resulting in fines and costs totalling £6,030 being imposed.
Neath Port Talbot Environmental Health Officers inspected Taj Mahal Spice during the evening of 5th September 2018, and found the premises to be dirty and without a supply of hot water at the sinks or wash hand basins.
Additionally, food was at risk of contamination and equipment and surfaces were not being adequately disinfected. Due to the extent of the hygiene failures the business closed immediately.
During the inspection, the officer found the main kitchen to be in a “filthy”condition, with walls stained yellow with grease marks and dirty containers being used for food storage. Open foods were being illegally stored in the lobby outside the bathroom.
Management controls were extremely poor, with inadequate monitoring of food handling practices. Environmental Health Officers also served a fixed penalty notice for the non-display of a Food Hygiene Rating sticker following the inspection, resulting in a separate fine of £150.
Neath Port Talbot Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Public Protection, Cllr Leanne Jones, said:
“We are committed to ensuring that businesses who put customers at risk face robust enforcement action.
“Proprietors have a duty to ensure they properly register and manage their business and protect food being served to the public from risk of contamination.”