Swans U23s Book Semi Final Spot

A 1-0 victory over Brighton sees Swansea progress to the semi-final of the Premier League Cup.

A second half goal from Kenji Gorre ensured Swansea City Under-23s booked their place in the Premier League Cup semi-final with a 1-0 win over Brighton at Landore.

The young Swans has the better of the first half but could not break the deadlock until Gorre's strike midway through the second half.

Swansea defended well to ensure they kept a clean sheet and progressed to the last four, keeping alive the hopes of a league and cup double winning season.

Gary Richards and Cameron Toshack make four changes to the side that lost against Porto in the semi-final of the Premier League International Cup last week.

Dutch defender Tom Plezier comes into the starting XI at left-back, while midfielders Jack Evans and George Byers also return to the team for today's quarter-final match.

Young striker Liam Cullen starts up front for the Swans in the absence of Oli McBurnie, who continues his duty with the first-team this week.

The Seagulls reached the quarter-finals after convincingly beating Huddersfield Town 3-1 with goals from Connor Tighe, Jordan Davies and Will Collar secured victory. 

The young Swans created plenty of early pressure as Seagulls keeper Robert Sanchez was forced to punch clear George Byers floating cross, before saving the midfielder's low cross inside the opening ten minutes. 

Soon after Daniel James broke on the counter-attack and raced down the right wing to fire in a dangerous cross that narrowly missed finding a white shirt.

Brighton's best chance of the half came minutes later as full-back Tyler Forbes raced forward to fire just wide from the edge of the area.

Swansea continued to press in the final third and James and Gorre both has chances on goal, with both efforts saved by Sanchez before Zabret saved Tom Dallison's flicked shot at the Swans' net.

The home side could have taken the lead on the half hour mark as Liam Cullen's pass found James inside the area to fire at goal, but Sanchez was once again equal to the effort using his body well to block the effort off the line.

The Swans continued to put Brighton's defence under pressure with a series of corners and a shot from Byers blocked minutes before half time.

Swansea has the best chance of the opening five minutes of the second half as midfielder Ryan Blair fired into the side netting from the edge of the area.

The game settled soon after as both sides battled to control possession in midfield with only a few clear chances created between both sides.

But it was Swansea who broke the deadlock in the 68th minute as winger Kenji Gorre raced into the box from the left wing to neatly slot into the far corner.

The winger almost doubled his and the Swans tally two minutes later as Gorre turned his man to race into the box, this time Sanchez was equal to his effort at the near post.

Swansea continued to attack but soaked up the pressure well as Seagulls full-back George Cox forced a good save from Zabret before defender Dallison headed inches over from the resulting corner.

The full time whistle confirmed the victory and ensured the Under-23s progress to the semi-final of the Premier League Cup.

More from Local