.

Warning Graphic Images: Swansea Mum Suffers Horrendous BBQ Burns

A Gorseinon woman is facing surgery on her foot after incident at Tor Bay.

Ruth Jenkins has told us how a fun day at the beach turned into a nightmare after she suffered second and third degrees burns to her foot.

She said: "We decided to have a barbecue around lunchtime. We used 3 disposable BBQs on the sand - once we finished cooking we put them out and left to cool. 

"Over four hours later we decided to pack up and leave - and return to the campsite at Nicholaston. 

"The BBQs were stone cold and we started picking them up ready to dispose of them. After the first was picked up I stepped forward (barefoot) to pick up the second and onto the sand that the first had been on. I could not believe how hot it was. 

"It resulted in partial and full thickness burns to both the sole and side of my foot."

WARNING some of these images are graphic:

"People are thinking I stood on the barbecue or had been careless - none of us thought the sand would retain the heat for that long. 

"I had to wait for the Coastguard to get me off the beach. I was admitted to Morriston Hospital burns unit for debriding (removal of the blisters/dead skin), very strong pain relief, IV antibiotics for the resulting infection, daily cleaning and dressing of the burns.

"I am on crutches. I am trying to put weight on to the foot as part of my physio. I am in hospital at the moment for pain management and I am waiting for skin grafts on Monday."

Ruth is now  urging people to be careful saying: "Most of us have heard warnings of burying BBQ coals in the sand, this is due to sand being excellent at retaining heat. Well, the same applies to BBQs that have been placed directly on sand, ours had been put out for OVER 4 HOURS. I’m just glad it wasn’t any of the children who were with us...or even someone else after we had left the beach. Sea water was poured onto the sand nearly 5 hours later and it boiled and evaporated on contact!"

 

Ruth's advice is if you are going to use throwaway or portable BBQs on the beach, PLEASE REMEMBER:

*Try to keep them safely above the sand, on purpose built stands or rocks
*Do not assume that a cold BBQ means the sand is safe
*Ensure the sand underneath is completely cooled as soon as possible and definitely before you leave the beach
*Be aware of anyone walking near the affected sand, especially children and dogs


 

More from Local