.

Thought your Samsung replacement was safe? Think again!

British phone operators are discussing safety concerns with Samsung over renewed fears its Galaxy Note 7 is prone to overheating and potentially catching fire.

 

The tech giant has reportedly halted production of the handset to protect consumers.

 

02 said customer safety was of "utmost importance" and that it had not sold any new handsets since Samsung announced last month it was recalling the phone.

 

Network operator EE said customer safety was of "utmost importance".

 

It added: "Following recent media reports of further Note 7 issues in the US and Canada, we have suspended Note 7 exchanges and are currently in direct contact with Samsung regarding next steps on the matter."

 

A spokesman for Three said: "We are currently assessing the situation with Samsung and we will be seeking guidance from them before we resume any further exchanges of the Note 7, as the safety of our customers is paramount."

 

Citing an unnamed official at a Samsung supplier, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the firm had stopped producing the phone in order to protect consumers.

 

Samsung did not confirm or deny production had been halted, only that the production schedule had been changed "temporarily" to "ensure quality and safety matters".

 

Last month sales of the phone were suspended after buyers reported batteries had exploded and caught fire while on charge.

 

The president of the firm's mobile business, Koh Dong-jin, said an investigation had found a battery made by one of its two suppliers was causing the phone to combust.

 

Users posted photos and videos on social media showing charred Note 7s with part of its 5.7-inch touchscreen burnt and melted, with some consumers labelling the device "Death Note".

 

Some airlines banned passengers from putting the phone in checked baggage and from charging the device while in flight.

 

Samsung seemed to manage the crisis by moving swiftly to announce the recall two weeks after the phone's launch, and by promising to replace old phones with new Note 7s with a green battery icon to indicate they are safe.

 

But the reports of a halt in production could plunge the company into a new crisis.

 

Shares in Samsung, which recently rebounded after the initial recall, finished the day down 1.5% compared with a 0.2% rise in the broader market.

 

The South Korean firm has sold more than one million Note 7 phones in 10 countries.

 

On Friday the firm said it was expecting a 6% rise in quarterly profits to $7bn (£5.6bn) despite the cost of the recall.

 

Sky News (c) Sky News 2016: Phone operators in talks with Samsung over Galaxy Note 7 fire fears